Hello,

For your property discovery mechanism, I'm not sure I really see how this works (sounds interesting though). However, what you want for traversing the component hierarchy upon initializing your panel is to delay the initialization after the panel has been added.

And there is a method defined in Component exactly for this purpose: onInitialize() (well this is on wicket 1.5, but I don't think it has changed in wicket 6). Basically you would do in this method (don't forget to call super.onInitialize() though) whatever you would otherwise have done in the constructor but requires access to the component hierarchy.

++++
This method is meant to be used as an alternative to initialize components. Usually the component's constructor is used for this task, but sometimes a component cannot be initialized in isolation, it may need to access its parent component or its markup in order to fully initialize. This method is invoked once per component's lifecycle when a path exists from this component to the Page thus providing the component with an atomic callback when the component's environment is built out.
++++

Hope this helps.