Okay, I've got a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in bacon for you.

My page works perfectly in IE8.  When I use the developer tools to go to IE7
compatability for testing, the submit button on my page stops working (I'll
describe exact symptoms below).  It works in IE8.  Works in Firefox.

Other buttons that appear pretty identical elsewhere in the app work in IE7
compatility mode.  Ajax buttons and events on the page working fine in IE7
mode.  But not that button nor the cancel button (which also submits with a
javascript confirmation alert).  I've experimented with everything I notice
being different between this button and other submit buttons in the
application that work to no avail.

The "not working" is that it basically just reloads the current page.  All
selections are maintained.  No validation messages are shown, so it's not
failing my validation, and a breakpoint tells me it's not running them
either.  Breakpoints also tell me it never gets to the onSubmit.  I tried
defining a onSubmit on the form instead but it also never gets there.

My button in java:
                form.add(new Button("nextBtn") {
                        public void onSubmit() {
                                onNextButton();
                        }
                });

My buttons in html:
        <input type="submit" id="cancelBtn" class="submit clr"
wicket:id="cancelBtn" onclick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to
cancel?');" value="Cancel">
        <input type="submit" class="submit btnsubmit" wicket:id="nextBtn"
value="eNote Criteria &gt;">