Of course the instant I submit the question, I thought of something else to
try.  I stopped overriding onComponentTag and changed the body to:

        @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
        public void onComponentTagBody(final MarkupStream markupStream, final
ComponentTag openTag) {
                if (!isEnabledInHierarchy()) {
                        replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag,
convertValueToRender((T)getDefaultModelObject()));
                }
                super.onComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag);
        }

it turns out the prior error was when the item was enabled.  The super lets
me get past the enabled phase and to when it is disabled.  At which point
the below error happens.  This error is much more to the point.  It doesn't
like that I have children and am erasing my body.  But that's actually what
I want to do.  How can I tell wicket that I really do want that?

And of course the TextArea question still stands.

This results in
org.apache.wicket.markup.MarkupException: Expected close tag for
'<wicket:container wicket:id="myRadio">' Possible attempt to embed
component(s) '<input wicket:id="myRadioYes" type="radio" name="adtype"/>' in
the body of this component which discards its body