Thanks for the reply.  I suspect this is exactly the case we have created for
ourselves.  Although we have a good grasp on the detach process I suspect
that there are places where this rule of thumb is not being followed.
Although the example I gave is somewhat fictitious, any of the LDMs we have
in our framework perform a detach on the parent.  In the form there are
numerous places where adhoc anonymous models are created and this is
probably where the problems occur.  Is there a recommended way to track
these down?  I ended up recompiling a version of Wicket with changes to
LoadableDetachableModel that would essentially track every LDM within a
RequestCycle.  At the end of a request cycle I was left with a list of the
models that never got detached.  I also added a "whereAmI" member variable
to LDM that would capture the stack trace in the constructor so I could
figure out who instantiated the model in the first place.