Hi Martin,
I've added a much more simpler test application to show what's not working
(see myproject2.zip below).
On the first page you can see on the right side a TextComponent with a
simple Behavior added to a Page. This Behavior adds some
JavaScriptResourceReference (the jQuery function definition) and an
OnDomReadyHeaderItem (the jQuery function call) to the header. If it works,
the value of the input field is replaced from "test" to "Hello Dude!" and
the input element is highlighted for a short moment.
On the second page you can find the same functionality but added to a Border
component. This works as well as described.
On the third page I've added a TextComponent with the same Behavior but to
the BorderBodyContainer (the content area) of our layout class (a Border
component) which is added to another Border (our layout container). On this
page, the Behavior is NOT working with Wicket 7.3. But the same IS working
with Wicket 6.23. You can easily switch between both versions by changing
the wicket.version in the pom.xml.
I've noticed during my investigation, that the "renderHead" method of the
Behavior class never gets called and I have not glue why! I could imagine,
that one reason could be the fact, that we use two nested Border components.
But the behavior should work with this combination as well, I think.
Could you please have a look at this problem.

Here is the quickstart:  myproject2.zip
<http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/file/n4674910/myproject2.zip>