Okay, new info.  So, alot of what I said I accepted on faith from a co-worker
who was working the problem.  I'm posting on his behalf.  Turns out some of
that was wrong, but we do have a little bit of a poser here nonetheless.  I
apologize for that.  I should make my guys all sign up for this forum rather
than using me as a go between.

First, the button.onError(target, form) is invoked.  However, the
ComponentFeedbackPanel is not rendering.  We have a custom behavior that
writes an error css class onto the control if isValid() is false, and that
is working.  In debug, I can see the hasFeedbackMessage()==true, and the
getFeedbackMessages() returns an error with the right field name on it.  Yes
the component feedback does not render.

I put setOutputMarkupId(true) on literally everything, and
setOutputPlaceholderTag(true) on the component feedbacks.  That didn't help.
I explicitly added each feedback to the target rather than their parent.

Yet the ComponentFeedbackPanel doesn't show the errors.  I looked in F12
tools and saw that the span for it actually IS there, there's just nothing
in it.