Hi,

DropDownChoice component should be used when you have a list of objects
which you want to render in an HTML select element without fancy things
like option grouping and styling.
If you need to do grouping and/or styling then you need to use Select and
add SelectOption for each of your objects.
See
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/wicket-examples/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/examples/compref/SelectPage.java
for an example.
The grouping is only in the HTML in this example (
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/wicket-examples/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/examples/compref/SelectPage.html#L23)
but you can use WebMarkupContainer on the optgroup elements to set its
attributes dynamically.