Thanks for the tip Martin Terra!

And thank you for the example code Martin Grigorov! Good to know I'm on the right track.

I still have one proplem left, I know it really is a minor thing. I developed a framework component for a group selectbox which takes a HashMap<String, T> containing the optgroups and their corresponding options. Working with generic option objects I use a ChoiceRenderer to give the user the possiblity to map the id- and display-value from the object. This works fine so far, until you get to
isSelected(IModel<?> model)
In AbstractChoice you can set an object as selected which does not have to be the same object as the one in the choices. It compares the objects id using the given choice renderer. But Select only does an object equals compare. And there's no way to use the choice renderer in isSelected correctly because there is no index in the method signature. As I said this is really a minor thing, but the inconsistency with AbstractChoice annoys me ;)
How would you suggest to solve this?

Best regards,
Claudia Hirt