Guillaume,

That worked! Thanks a lot for the help.

Yet, I still don't understand why the HQL string below does not yield
the correct results:
$query = "select obj from BaseObject obj where
obj.className='Contacts.ContactClass'"

Can someone explain how XWiki traverses documents and objects to
generate the resultset when executing HQL statements?

Thanks.