Hi there,

On Jan 30, 2009, at 9:43 PM, bretteua wrote:

> Is there any way to hide "admin" type pages from users?  What I mean
> is that
> when I go to an index or search results, not only does all of the user
> created pages/content show up, but so does all of the admin pages
> and pages
> related to the structure of the XWiki platform.  Given that some of
> my XWiki
> users are not savvy programming types, I want to avoid them even
> being able
> to see these pages.  They tend to distract and confuse.
>
> Is there a way to have only end user created content appear in
> searches,
> what's new and index pages?

There are several ways:

1) exclude them from the search. We already do that for several pages.
For example if you go to
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/WebSearchCode
  you'll see this line:
  #set ($excludedWebs = "doc.space<>'XWiki' and doc.space<>'Admin' and
doc.space<>'Panels' and doc.name<>'WebPreferences' and")

2) Mark the pages as hidden. This is a new feature we've added in
1.8M1. We need to mark ourselves those technical pages as hidden in
the default XE XAR. Especially since there's no UI to do that right
now. Also note that this is a temporary hack while we work on the new
model. If you really want to mark a page as hidden you can edit that
page in wiki mode, type the following 2 lines, hit preview and then
cancel:

$doc.document.setHidden(true)
$doc.save()

3) However the best solution is to move your hidden pages to the XWiki
space since that space is a technical space that doesn't appear in
search results as is show in 1). We normally do that for pages that we
consider shouldn't appear in search results. Let us know if we missed
some pages that should be hidden.