See Below,

On 24 mei 2009, at 10:18, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Gerritjan Koekkoek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm puzzled by HOW scripts, CSS, images can be located by XWIKI that
>> reside in the skindirectory inthe skinsfolder (Albatros, Toucan or
>> custom build skins)
>> How does this work?
>> My question is most urgent on scripts (Velocity in my case)
>>
>> I see the developper has created a few scripts: attachmentsinline.vm,
>> endpage.vm, registerinline.vm, changeavatar.vm, footer.vm,
>> registeruser.vm
>> editactions.vm, global.vm, startpage.vm, editinline.vm, history.vm,
>> stylesheets.vm, editmodes.vm, login.vm, userinactive.vm,
>> editpanelsvars.vm
>> menuview.vm, validations.vm, edituser.vm, passwd.vm
>>
>> I list them all on purpose;
>> some scripts I can trace back to scripts in the xwiki.docs, They are
>> invoked from a piece of code
>> <script type="text/javascript">
>>      window.onload=disableLinkForPopup;
>>      document.getElementById("menuview").style.display="none";
>>      document.getElementById("globallinks").style.display="none";
>> </script>
>> (notice the call to "menuview")
>
> This is not a call to menuview. This is JavaScript. It works on the
> clientside, inside the browser, and it just gets a reference to a HTML
> element with that ID. It has nothing to do with the velocity template.
Thx;  this clarifies...

>> Some are invoked from the other (example in global.vm)
>> #template("validations.vm")
>>
>> But I can not trace back all of the scripts in the list above, either
>> they are useless or they are called by some XWIKI process i'm not
>> aware off.
>
> XWiki is mainly developed in Java, velocity templates are used for
> presentation and some basic functionalities. None of the templates are
> useless, they are all called either from a java Action, or, as you
> mentioned, recursively from other templates or documents.
I understand and more or less expected that they are called from Java-
actions.
But since these are from a custom-skin, maybe copied from a original
skin (I think it was Toucan)
and modyfied for customization purposes, I would like to understand
from what actions they are called
With that knowlegde I could import them into XWIKI (as advised by
XWIKI.COM guys)

Is there a convenient "search" to find the code that is referencing
these velocity-templates?

>> I'm in the process of moving all these files of the custom skin into
>> the wiki (to get rid of dependencies of system managers) , but untill
>> I understand how they work or are invoked I find it tricky
>
> What do you mean? What system managers?
Our site is hosted at XWIKI.com. For the improvement/required changes
process it is not convenient to send
files to the hosting organisation (the system managers). I would like
to limit the number of files on the filesystem that are customized for
our specific application to a bare minimum! If the files are IN Xwiki,
we can modify them if we need to do so...