On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Gaëtan GUYODO <gaetan.guy...@lrb.aphp.fr>
 wrote:

> I tried to force xwiki.url.protocol=https in xwiki.cfg, without results.
> I tried to create another wiki, same problem.
> I tried to add the full URL as alias, doesn't work !
>
> => I don't have any trouble accessing by
> http://localhost:8080/xwiki/wiki/xwiki
> but I can't acces the same wiki using external SSL URL
> https://mydomain/xwiki/wiki/xwiki

You can't run SSL on a random port, and HTTPS, bound to 443, is privileged
and requires a privileged process (that's why a high-number port like 8080
is used by default, it's a random, nonprivileged port). Since you don't want
to run java as a privileged process, but people trust apache to run this
way, you use a connector (
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html ) to bridge
between java and a secure SSL
front-end.

Although tomcat can do SSL, it's better and more secure to front tomcat with
Apache Httpd: use
mod_proxy<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html>and
mod_proxy_ajp <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html> to
talk to tomcat, and mod_ssl <http://www.modssl.org/> to handle SSL (helpful
security hint that is de rigueur for hospital and patient data: use
mod_auth_mysql <http://modauthmysql.sourceforge.net/> and client-side
certificates <http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_howto.html#ToC6> to prevent
any access from those without client certs... see "fake basic auth" concept
in http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_reference.html#SSLOptions ... if you
don't have a client-certificate access, you get redirected to the "public"
part of the web like in http://ipssources.net )

Quickndirty configuration hints:

LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
ProxyPass /xwiki/ ajp://127.0.0.1:8009/xwiki/

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests Off

## NPM: see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Performances#HModProxyAJPConfiguration