Hi there,

Vincent Massol wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
>>> Yes, definitely. The blog actually used to do this but we changed it some
>>> time ago because when content got truncated sometimes markup was no longer
>>> closed properly, which led to wome weird display on the blog homepage (half
>>> of the text getting underlined, stuff like that).
>>>
>>> With the new rendering engine, it could be possible to write a "smart"
>>> snippet algorithm that would cut the markup in the right place. In the
>>> default version, you'll notice that if you manually fill the "summary" field
>>> of a blog post it gets displayed on the blog homepage instead of the actual
>>> article content, which I believe is close to the behavior you're looking
>>> for. If that's what you want to do, follow the indications on
>>> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/BlogApplication to create
>>> a blog out of any page.
>>>
>> OK.  I'll give this a try.  In theory the engine could be smart enough
>> to know if it is going to truncate in the middle of markup and adjust
>> accordingly, but having people provide a summary is a decent alternative.
>>
>> But what I'm trying to do is create the blogs, but then be able to list
>> the blogs on another regular wiki/content page - either in a list or a
>> summary format.  I don't want to force the user to go to the "blog" page
>> to get the teasers for that content - I'd like to be able to tease the
>> content on another page or two (where relevant, by category, or blog,
>> etc) and let them click to read the full thing.
>>> By the way, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback about XWiki as
>>> compared to Confluence. Specifically, if you were to name one thing you like
>>> best in XWiki vs Confluence and one thing you like best in Confluence
>>> compared to XWiki, what would those be?
>
> First let me thank you a lot for the feedback, that's really useful for us.
>
>> Well, it's probably too soon to tell as I'm very new with XWiki and very
>> comfortable with Confluence.  My sense is that XWiki has a long way to
>> go - Confluence's markup language is excellent,
>
> In term of markup language, we had XWiki syntax 1.0 which was close to
> confluence's syntax (since both depended on Radeox). However we've seen lots
> of limitations and have created XWiki Syntax 2.0 which we believe is the most
> powerful markup language (basically we can do back and forth from HTML and
> not loose content which isn't true for the other syntaxes we know of).
>
> The new syntax is described here:
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax
>
> I'd be happy to know if you still think there are things better done in the
> confluence syntax and that xwiki's syntax cannot do (I believe the opposite
> is true).
>

> Also, to be noted, is that XWiki is polyglot ie it supports several syntaxes,
> amongst which Confluence syntax (although if you use it you won't be able to
> use our new WYSIWYG editor since right now it only supports XWiki Syntax 1.0).

Correction: the new WYSIWYG editor works best with XWiki Syntax 2.0 but
it's not restricted to this syntax. The WYSIWYG editor understands and
produces annotated XHTML thus it can work with any syntax that has a
parser from and a renderer to annotated XHTML. Of course, if the storage
syntax is less powerful than XHTML you'll loose information during page
save. The editor can be adjusted to restrict some XHTML constructs in
order to reduce the information loss.

>> and you can do pretty
>> much anything you want with the macros they provide and the parameters
>> for them.
>
> I agree that confluence has an edge in term of number of macros. Where XWiki
> catches up I believe is with the ability to write velocity/groovy/ruby/python
> scripts directly in pages along with a powerful API accessible from theses
> scripting language which makes it relatively easy to script any missing
> macro. However this is no substitute for more macros since standard users may
> not have the skills to write such scripts.
>
>> For example with the blog issue you simply use the blog macro
>> on any page and pass it the parameters for which blogs you want
>> (category, space, date ranges, what kind of listing, etc) and voila.
>
> I remember using the confluence blog a long time ago (around 2005) and I
> didn't like it because it was something part of the Confluence core and you
> couldn't modify it to your needs. For example it had not ability to modify
> the date of a post (that's probably been added since then) and there was no
> way I could add it (except to go in java dev mode and rewrite the blog
> provided I had access to the sources). In XWiki the blog application is
> contained in wiki pages and you can edit them and modify them to suit your
> exact needs, where needed.
>
> In due time we'll probably make the most obvious features available directly
> as macros or as configuration options but this example highlights one main
> difference of confluence vs xwiki IMO. Confluence is done well and for a
> usage in mind, XWiki is a toolbox/platform with powerful APIs. A few years
> back XWiki was hard for its users since it was powerful but you needed
> knowledge to benefit from this power. However for the past 3 years we've
> focused on usability and it's starting to show. We still have the powerful
> engine but now features are also much more accessible/usable than before.
> Obviously there are always improvements to be done and we have lots of ideas
> on stuff to do :)
>
>> There's no need to know Velocity to do anything so you don't have all
>> this code that regular editors and site maintainers won't ever have a
>> prayer of knowing all over the place.
>
> Right...
>
>>  XWiki's preview doesn't work
>> correctly - often you will preview and want to go back to editor and
>> it's broken.  For example, edit a blog and then preview, and when you go
>> back to edit it will have a different look (no 'summary' and 'content'
>> pane, just one pane, and an error in it).  Very annoying.

The problem is that the content is submitted and the editor reloaded.
The new WYSIWYG editor should behave correctly though.

Thanks,
Marius