Hi Caty,

This one is simpler and more easy to understand than proposal 2 (which I
liked but were complex). It is your best try IMO. I agree with Caty that
using icons too reduce the place taken will not allow easy extensions. But
Alex proposal would help to have a summary view, which is nice to have too.

Maybe we could do both in fact. Propose a summary view (by default), which
fit a single line per user, this view would present the common rights
(V/C/E/D/A/(R/P)) using icons, and a last icon would be used to mention
there is more special rights either inherited, allowed or denied. So we only
need to use (and think about) a short icon representation for common rights,
and extended rights will be represented by a single special representation.
Rows could be expanded individually or globally so if you want a more
detailled information, you may reach it either for a single user or all at
once. Changing common rights would be allowed in collapsed mode and expanded
mode, but changing special rights would only be allowed in expanded view.

If you want to keep the width even smaller, you may also colspan the
user/group column over the others, using 2 rows per user, but I am not sure
it will be nice. (Could this be only when horizontal space is short ?)

I really like this one because it is simple to learn without documentation
and could also help learning how rights works, but there is again
some inconstancies with the current implementation. Compare to proposal 3,
these inconsistencies may be nicely fixed and really helps understanding why
the right is disallowed at any time. You can do it like this:

 - the inheritance pop-up information should be at the right level in
the inheritance columns. The rights are inherited and check individually, so
the precise source of inheritance is per rights, not only per user or group
 - there is a local source of inheritance: if the a right is allowed to
anyone else at the same level, it is implicitly disallowed for any others.
So the source of inheritance is the local level, implying a deny because the
local level has at least a specific allow. This means than when you drag the
first time a right in the allow column, all other user/group at the same
level will have that right inherited deny from the current level. (For those
who wonder and will check the source of the right service, yes, there is
potential performance improvement by immediately denying when a non-matching
allow is found, currently we continue to check right at higher level for
more deny, this is not really clever)

With these changes, I really feel that this last proposal could be a real
improvement in the way rights are applied, and keeps the interface simple at
the same time.

WDYT ?

Denis

Denis Gervalle