On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:03, Denis Gervalle <d...@softec.lu> wrote:

> Caty,
>
> I probably have an issue with my browser (Chrome/Mac) but I cannot see the
> icons :(

Fixed: thanks.

Made some screenshots with how it suppose to look like:
- Wiki:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wiki42View.png
- Space:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/space42View.png

> Anyway this seem to me nice, but I am not sure you should prevent changing
> rights in summary mode. I think that summary mode should allow simple right
> management, and for 'casual' or less knowledgeable users, this should be
> the
> only mode used. This is not only a summary, but also a simplified
> interface.
>
> WDYT ?

I had your vision (changing rights in summary mode) in mind when I started
prototyping. Let me show you some versions:

V1_space) First version took the exact order from the extended view (first
Allow, second Deny rights)
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/spaceTest1.png

+   this version lets the user drag its right to the appropriate column
+-  has the same representation as the extended version
---  there is no scanability: if I want to see the status of "delete" right
for different groups/users I have to search for them (making me dizzy :P )
+   there is no gapping space between rights

V2_space) Tried to fix the dizziness by providing same order/position for
rights
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/spaceTest2.png
+-   this version lets the user drag its right to the appropriate column,
but the user has not control over the position he choose to drop the target:
the right will appear on the column it's suppose to be
+-  doesn't have the same representation as the extended version
(allowed/denied order broke, determined order present)
+   scanability: it's easy to scan for the searched column/position
-    gap space between rights: ex. evalica-DenyDelete: some users might not
like that gap and may not understand why is there (is it a bug?)

See also:
V2_wiki)
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest2.png
V2_wiki_expanded)
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest21.png

As you see in V2) has the same functionality as the expanded version.
The main benefit is that is occupying less space, but we still need the
expanded view for the Inherited/detailed information for each right.

The down side of version 2
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest2.png
is that if I want to *summarize *a global state for a given right (ex see
for what users 'delete' is allowed/denied) at a global level, not at a
group/user level, the same dizziness effect appears (I have to search for
'delete' right in three columns, for all the users)

V3) is the current proposal, it compresses the 3 column spread information
in one view.
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/space42View.png
-   this version doesn't lets the user drag its right to the appropriate
column
+-  doesn't have the same representation as the extended version
+   scanability: it's easy to scan for the searched column/position at a *
global* level
+   there is no gapping space between rights

V3_wiki)
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest3.png
is equivalent to
V2_wiki)
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest2.png

I prefer V3) over V2):
+   Summary does what is suppose to: give a global summary of existing
rights, without being concerned of the type of the right (inherited, locally
allowed, locally denied)
+   Good Readability
+/- Doesn't allow rights to be dragged around. I prefer changing rights in
expanded mode because there you also have more information, like source of
the inheritance + 3 columns.

Being compact it's easier to understand the "local source of inheritance"
for a given right. For example, allowing "view" right for 'evalica' will
deny it for 'unregistered users' and 'registered users'. Being on the same
column is easier to look for the change and see it in action (being
highlighted).
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/space42View.png

Please tell me what you think about this rationale. It would be great if you
have ideas about how to make the summary being draggable, but also keeping
scanability and less gaps.

Thanks,
Caty