On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 17:04, Lee Chalupa <lchal...@seelink.org> wrote:

> I have a wiki farm I want to upgrade to the curreent release.
>
> I've searched the forum. I've read the applicable release notes.
>
> I'm not able to find any info on whether migration is supported from a
> version 1.X to 2.X.
>
> Can I move straight from 1.4 to 2.3 or do I need to apply some intermediate
> steps?

Yes, in fact the automatic migrator act step by step so that does not
change anything except that doing only one migration takes a lot less
time ;)

As usual the issue you can have is mostly if you modified standard pages.

There is also probably some important changes that could impact
applications you would have wrote yourself:
- the most important one is the new xwiki/2.0 syntax which is the
default syntax now so when you create a page programmatically you have
to take care of setting the proper syntax, note that you can change
configuration to have xwiki/1.0 syntax by default until you did all
needed migrations
- you can now set a velocity variable to null, see
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise22
- there is also some changes in document references for them to
support "technical" characters like '.' and ':' but if you don't use
any of them that should not change anything for you

All basic wiki pages should behave the same as in 1.4.

And other things you should take a look at the release notes of each
first stable version of each branch (1.5, 1.6, ...) since 1.4 and
specifically to the section "Backward Compatibility and Migration
Notes".

> The one area that confuses me with Xwiki is the relationships between the
> wiki manager
> and the enterprise wiki.  I'm missing the big picture.  What dependencies
> exist between the enterprise
> version and the wiki manager?

XWiki Enterprise Manager is just a pre-configured XWiki Enterprise in
multiwiki (virtual) mode and with some UI to create/delete wikis (it's
really only UI, the real multiwiki support is in the platform). Since
2.0 the version is synchronized so XEM 2.x is exactly XE 2.x with some
pages added as well as two wiki management UI related plugins.

Thomas Mortagne