On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Ecaterina Valica <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 21:33, Raluca Stavro <raluca.moro...@xwiki.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I really like the last proposal, Caty :)
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Alex Busenius <alex.busen...@xwiki.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Caty,
>> >

>> > This version is really cool, just some minor comments:
>> >
>> > When I mouse over some right icon (FF 3.6), the dropdown menu with
>> > allow/deny/etc. is shown, but this menu is very hard to see, because it
>> > has almost the same color as the background and the icons are right
>> > above the right icons from the line below.
>> >
>> > The popup with the hint what right it is and why it is inherited is
>> > really helpful, but to open it I need to hit the small triangle near to
>> > the icon, otherwise only the dropdown menu is shown (but maybe its just
>> > because it is not the final version). This might be quite hard for some
>> > people.
>> >
>> > I'd made the icons larger (at least 24x24) and add more contrast (right
>> > now inherited rights look like disabled GUI controls to me), especially
>> > to the dropdown menu, view right icon and inherited right arrow from the
>> > menu.
>>
>> I think that the tooltip can be added on mouse click. This would imply
>> adding a nice question mark instead of that small arrow, and the user
>> would click anywhere on the span with the class name "summary". And
>> another improvement would be to add more padding to the drop down
>> menus. Caty is currently using the secondary background color, right?
>> Maybe we should use the highlight color, but I'm not sure of that.
>>

> Thanks Raluca. Yes, a better solution is be to increase the padding and also
> use $theme.backgroundSecondaryColor (or a darker tone).
> The problem is that on default theme, backgroundSecondaryColor is a gray
> color and the contrast with the gray icon is not that good.
>
> In terms of interaction I think "hover on tooltip" and "click on arrow" for
> changing the rights is better. The user browse the rights to see the
> inheritance and see what those rights means, and when he made up his mind he
> clicks and change the right.
> There are more cases when the users is just browsing the rights, inspecting
> or see rights meaning, than actually change them; so the harder activity
> (clicking) should be put on changing the right.
>
> The small arrow is a sign that there is a menu. If the menu will appear on
> click, the arrow is necessary to work as an invitation and also to keep the
> consistency with actionMenus.
>
> Raluca, do you think we should use bigger icons, like Alex suggested? Maybe
> if we put enough padding and we work a bit on the contrast
> (backgroundSecondaryColor, highlightColor) this won't be necessary.

No, the icon size is ok. I modified a bit proposal 5.1 (I hope it's ok
with you Caty, otherwise we can revert the changes and add proposal
5.2) http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/Rights51Space
.
I added more padding, more margin, a bigger width for the available
rights to change (.submenuitem a span.changedRight) and I've made the
arrow a bit bigger  (102% font size).

This way the user will select easier the items.

I didn't have time to change the way the submenu is displayed (click
instead of mouse over), but it's clear for me the way it will look
like and I really think that this proposal is clean and easy to
use/understand.

Raluca.