I agree that XWiki remains a mail client.
I agree that XWiki should define listeners and default behaviours to such
listeners (such as create a page, add a comment, or update a page).

I misread Sergiu's post in a funny manner:
>  fire events when new mails are  deleted in the mailbox

(as opposed to detected in the mailbox).

What's funny here is that using an IMAP (and not POP) client, one could indeed
maintain some xwiki pages (update, delete, rename). It'd be cute I find.

paul