Andreas,

I am aware that web-forums may scale better in some ways.

All the complaints I and others have formulated about moving to web-forum
relate to the ease of use of email-based traffic:

- receive all the forum posts per email
- respond to them by email

If it is possible to get at least these functions I think no-one will object of
having the "main storage" be something different than a mailing-list and,
indeed, it would allow us to use extra features of a web-forum to better manage
(e.g. indicate interest or disinterest to a thread or a filter).

I have repeatedly attempted to set-up web-forums to this effect and I never
managed to get this fully working. The refinement of the handling the mails and
the errors of such a tool as mailman will be hard to beat.

Please contradict me!
Please review the arguments and see if they can be answered.

paul