On Mar 14, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hahn wrote:

> Am 14.03.2011 09:16, schrieb Vincent Massol:

>>> Paul,
>>> actually - how could I do this ?
>>> I'm not an expert in forum software so I'd to go for the naive approach
>>> - comparing features e.t.c.
>>>
>>> I was hoping for some insight that it is beneficial for the whole
>>> project to encourage users first to browse and then to participate -
>>> even if it means  for you and the others around here to give up beloved
>>> habits.
>>>
>>> Anyway - I'm not going to push you guys back to the future of Web 2.0.
>>>
>>> Given the lame participation when compared to the survey 4 years ago it
>>> seems to me that quite some people have already left the boat and it may
>>> not matter anymore.
>> I'm not sure how to read your last 2 paragraphs.
>>
>> Just note that fro my POV there's no "you" and "me" here. There's only a
>> global community and you're part of it. That said at some point some people
>> are going to need to work to make it happen, this is where the distinction
>> will happen. How far are you willing to help? Maybe a first step would be
>> that you help find either a forum software that fits the bill or a hosted
>> service that would work for us.
>>
>> > From the people who answered so far my feeling is that:
>> * people seem to agree in general that at least for users a forum would be
>> nicer
>> * since xwiki committers provide a substantial amount of answers to the user
>> list as of today it would be nice that they can continue to have the
>> information coming to me
>
> For my own FOSS project I'm hoping to start soon - I'll be going with
> http://stackoverflow.com. Providing support means checking the site for
> tagged questions a couple of times a day. It's just one mouse click. For me
> it makes no real difference in getting mails or checking a forum as long as
> you have a one-click list of open topics.

[snip]

Well, stackoverflow.com is one global site for all questions, it's not a tool
you can install or host.

It's part of stackexchange which is list of Q&A sites.

FYI, I've contacted the guys just to check what is the process to get such a
site and here's their answer:

"
All of our sites are created through a process we call Area 51. It is the
staging area to propose Stack Exchange sites to the community and, if it gains
enough support, we create the site. Stack Exchange sites can only be created
via the democratic, community-driven process at Area 51. You can read more
about that process here: http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq.
"