Hi Matt,

On Aug 11, 2012, at 2:07 AM, Matt Lamoureux wrote:

> Hi all,
>   My department is migrating from JSPwiki to Xwiki.

cool

> We want to keep
> things simple, so when importing your war file I did not import the sandbox
> or blog spaces.  That left Main, Xwiki, AppWithinMinutes, and Dashboard.
> AWM is fine, but I found out the hard way that Dashboard and Xwiki both
> contain parts of the software, so I can't delete or hide them.  First of
> all - is that accurate?

Well, XWiki works without any page at all so nothing is strictly required. It
all depends on the features you wish to use.
For example if you wish to be able to search in your wiki you'll need the
search extension installed and that extensions is made of both some JARs and
some wiki pages (Main.Search for example amongst other pages).

To be on the safe side and to make it easy you should keep everything from the
default XE XAR. Feel free to remove the Sandbox and Blog spaces if you don't
use them.

In the near future this will be much simpler since we're moving everything as
extensions and you'll be able to uninstall extensions and it'll uninstall both
the jars and the pages for that extension.
Actually we'll also do the other way around: you'll be able to start with an
empty wiki and install extensions you need.

>   My second question is around the Main space.  I thought we could import
> our files directly into that space, but apparently not - we had a page
> called "Search" which appears to have overwritten the search results page.
> I couldn't find any documentation about best practices when importing -
> like file names to avoid, etc.

Indeed this is not very clean. The idea in the future is that each extension
which have pages will put them in its own space so as to not "pollute" the
global namespace.

Right now I'd advise to import in your own space.

>  Do I have to create a brand new space,
> leaving Main, Dashboard and Xwiki alone?  I just worry people will start
> clicking around and editing or creating pages in one of those other
> spaces…

Well the XWiki space is by default only viewable and you cannot edit in it so
that's safe. If you don't want people to edit in the Main space you could set
its permissions to only allow view too.

Note that you can also hide pages and if all pages of a space are hidden the
space won't appear in the list of spaces (unless the user has chosen to view
hidden pages but by default it's off).