Unfortunately, that does not appear to have fixed the problem.

I upgraded to the most recent development snapshot, and made sure the
"Prevent unregistered users from editing pages" with checked, and am
still experiencing the same problem.

Things that keep disappearing:

Email -- Admin Email and SMTP server. The rest of the settings are maintained.
Page Elements - All panel settings, reverting to zero displayed
panels. Metadata visibility settings are maintained
Registration - Use Email Verification, Active Authentication Check,
Validation Email Content, Confirmation Email Content. Everything else
is maintained.
Several entire Spaces - the wiki has a large number of spaces (~150).
They seem to be getting deleted at random. I will leave the page for
an hour, come back, and the link to the space homepage will have the
"question mark" icon next to it. The space will no longer appear in
the spaces list on the Dashboard.

Any other ideas? I'm ready to downgrade back to 3.x - this only
started happening with a fresh install of 4.2 and it's obviously a
serious problem...

thanks,

aaron