I've monitored the wiki for the last 3 days, and the problem is
recurring about once every 24 hours. Each time I have run a cache
flush to no effect. The only solution I have is to re-enter the
missing data each time, which doesn't seem like a sustainable option.

If anyone could shed light on this or suggest a fix, I would appreciate it.

Since I can't seem to get rid of the problem, would it be better to
downgrade, or to backup the wiki and then try a from-scratch install
of 4.2m3? I'm not seeing similar behavior on my development server,
only the production machine...

thanks for all the help,

aaron