On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM, novnovice <novnov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed standalone xwiki ent 4.2, it seemed to go
> well. I installed to d:\XWiki Enterprise 4.2, didn't use the default program
> files path the installer suggested (and I read later at
> http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Products/InstallationGuide that the prog
> files dir is not good, the installer should be changed???)
>

> I double click the start xwiki icon on my desktop. Nothing seems to happen.
> I nav to http://localhost:8080/xwiki/ and see that firefox can't establish a
> connection.

You could try to run the start_xwiki.bat file from the command line
(cmd) to see the log. Note that you may have problems running the bat
file under Windows 7 but there should be workarounds (some suggest to
rename the *.bat file to *.cmd).

> I rarely mess with java, and so I am not sure if I have a "A Servlet
> Container supporting Servlet 2.4" which would be tomcat or something of that
> order. Some other software I have installed uses tomcat, but I'm not sure if
> it's running by default. Would the installer have warned me if tomcat etc
> was not installed?

If you used the Windows installer then you don't need any additional
servlet container (it is bundled). All you need is Java (JRE).

Hope this helps,
Marius