Hello

I am interested in running Xwiki Enterprise using the WAR file on an Apache
Geronimo 3.0 server.  I have been trying to do so for about two weeks now but
haven't been able to start Xwiki successfully  I initially tried with Xwiki
Enterprise 4.2 and then with 4.3 but with no success.  Here are the steps that
I have performed in my most recent attempt:
1) Installed a MySQL server, created an xwiki database, defined an xwiki user
(with password xwiki), and granted the user all permissions to the database.  I
am able to successful connect to the xwiki database using a database client.
2) Downloaded and extracted the Apache Geronimo 3.0.0 ZIP file
3) Placed the dependency JAR files in the appropriate directories inside the
Geronimo repository directory.
4) Created a geronimo-web.xml file and copied-and-pasted the complete sample
file contents provided at
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationGeronimo.  I
updated the version numbers in geronimo-web.xml file to match the versions of
the JAR files that I placed in the repository.
5) Defined a JDBC datasource in Geronimo using the procedure described in
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationGeronimo
6) Downloaded the XWiki 4.3 WAR file and deployed it on the Geronimo server
(specifying the customized geronimo-web.xml file on the deployment page).  The
deployment was successful.
7) Modified the hibernate.cfg.xml file by commenting out the default database
configuration and specifying the appropriate parameters for the MySQL database
(which is what I'm using).
8) Copied the modified geronimo-web.xml file into Xwiki's WEB-INF folder.
9) When I tried to start the XWiki application, the following errors were
generated in the log file:

2012-12-06 16:27:01,000 INFO  [KernelContextGBean] bound gbean
default/xwiki43/1354828503390/war?J2EEApplication=null,WebModule=default/xwiki43/1354828503390/war,j2eeType=ValidatorFactory,name=ValidatorFactory
 at name jca:/default/xwiki43/ValidatorFactory/ValidatorFactory
2012-12-06 16:27:10,000 ERROR [[/xwiki43]] Exception sending context
initialized event to listener instance of class
org.xwiki.container.servlet.XWikiServletContextListener
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to find the Observation Manager component
        at
org.xwiki.container.servlet.XWikiServletContextListener.contextInitialized(XWikiServletContextListener.java:101)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to
lookup component [org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager]
identifier by [role = [interface org.xwiki.observation.ObservationManager] hint
= [default]]
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:348)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:155)
        at
org.xwiki.container.servlet.XWikiServletContextListener.contextInitialized(XWikiServletContextListener.java:99)
        ... 82 more
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to lookup
Event Listeners
        at
org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.initialize(DefaultObservationManager.java:139)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.InitializableLifecycleHandler.handle(InitializableLifecycleHandler.java:39)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:323)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:378)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:346)
        ... 84 more
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to
lookup component [role = [interface org.xwiki.observation.EventListener] hint =
[LogbackEventGenerator]]
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:187)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceList(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:169)
        at
org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.initialize(DefaultObservationManager.java:135)
        ... 88 more
org.ops4j.pax.logging.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFactory cannot be cast to
ch.qos.logback.classic.LoggerContext
        at
org.xwiki.logging.logback.internal.LogbackUtils.getLoggerContext(LogbackUtils.java:50)
        at
org.xwiki.logging.logback.internal.LogbackUtils.getRootLogger(LogbackUtils.java:58)
        at
org.xwiki.logging.logback.internal.LogbackEventGenerator.initialize(LogbackEventGenerator.java:96)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.InitializableLifecycleHandler.handle(InitializableLifecycleHandler.java:39)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:323)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:378)
        at
org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:185)
        ... 90 more
2012-12-06 16:27:10,000 ERROR [StandardContext] Error listenerStart
2012-12-06 16:27:10,000 ERROR [StandardContext] Context [/xwiki43] startup
failed due to previous errors

There is mention of an Observation Manager component and SLF4J.  I'm not sure
what is preventing Xwiki Enterprise from starting correctly.  Any assistance
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Naoufel