On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Harald Ommang <harald.omm...@verico.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In one way, I very much appreciate the relatively high frequency of updates
> done by the XWIKI crew. You are doing a great job, making sure that XWIKI is
> alive and kicking and always improving.
>
> The downside to this, is all the work needed to be done when upgrading. So, I
> don't do that very often. The basic part of installation/migration works very
> well, but when it comes to content, the upgrade procedure is messy, as I see
> it. It is a hassle to have to pick and choose between various parts when
> importing and exported XAR.
>
> I would very much suggest planning for a future where the parts that are
> XWIKI software are clearly separated from the parts where customers typically
> do modifications. Especially items like users and groups. It should be
> possible to have a more separated export/import so that you GET new versions
> of e.g. the admin pages, while still KEEPING your setup of users, groups,
> etc., without having to click on a million of checkboxes in the import.

I don't really understand this comment, doing export/import is really
not the standard way of doing an upgrade. In typical upgrade you
backup everything if you want to be safe (or better you have automated
backups and you don't really need to do it when you upgrade), upgrade
the WAR part (if you use the Debian package then it's just about doing
apt-get upgrade or install with a specific version), restart, XWiki
upgrade the database shema automatically if needed and then you get
the Distribution Wizard which download and upgrade the wiki pages with
3 ways merge. Most of the time you don't have anything to do.

> Best regards
> Harald Ommang
> Norway

Thomas Mortagne