Sounds like I have a symlink issue to resolve. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Bryn

----- Reply message -----
From: "vinc...@massol.net" <vinc...@massol.net>
To: "XWiki Users" <users@xwiki.org>
Cc: "Bryn Jeffries" <bryn.jeffr...@sydney.edu.au>
Subject: [xwiki-users] Location for filesystem objects XWiki 7.1
Date: Fri, Jul 17, 2015 17:40

Hi Bryn,

On 17 Jul 2015 at 01:06:54, Bryn Jeffries
(bryn.jeffr...@sydney.edu.au(mailto:bryn.jeffr...@sydney.edu.au)) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from XWiki 5.something to XWiki 7.1. The previous
> configuration stored attachments in the filesystem, using a location set in
> xwiki.properties:
> environment.permanentDirectory=/myxwikidata/xwiki/data
>
> After upgrading I am missing icons from the wiki, and links to attachments
> are broken. After consulting
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filesystem+Attachment+Porter
>  I see that the location used for attachments (obtained via
> Utils.getComponent(FilesystemStoreTools.class).storageDir.getAbsolutePath() )
> is /var/cache/tomcat7/Catalina/localhost/xwiki/storage
>
> Does anyone know where this location is set, and why the one in
> xwiki.properties is not used? I see mention in that file that:
> "Note if the system property xwiki.data.dir is set then this property is not
> used."
> But grepping the configuration files reveals no mention of the parameter
> xwiki.data.dir

This hasn’t changed, the configuration for the permanent dir is still
environment.permanentDirectory in xwiki.properties.

In your case it seems the xwiki.properties file is not in the right place or
maybe you didn’t modify the correct one because XWiki is using the temporary
directory (you should get a warning in the console logs by the way).

The xwiki.data.dir is not set by default except in the standalone distribution
which you’re probably not using anyway since you’re doing an upgrade and if you
were using that distribution it’s value is set to “data” which is not what
you’re seeing.

So I would double check the location of xwiki.properties (should be in
WEB-INF/xwiki.properties).