Hi Lewil,

 the error message "Bad gateway" does not come from XWiki directly,
but from some other Server in between.

 Can you tell us more about your setup? Is there another Server running in
front of XWiki,
like an Apache Web Server or NginX ?

Does the problem go away if you save the page first, and then upload/insert the
image?

Cheers
Clemens