Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar wrote
> to avoid confusion with a numbered list in the navigation I had to
> restrict the numbering to the content-area, like:
>
> #xwikicontent ol { list-style-type: none; counter-reset: say; }
> #xwikicontent ol li:before { counter-increment: say; content:
> counters(say,".") ". "; }

Thank you, this did the trick. This time, the original example also
displayed the numbering, but wrong as you stated. Not sure why it didn't
have any effect last time, I tried different browser. I briefly tried
different settings for "Caching policy" and "use this extension", but all
combinations seem to work now.

I will update the documentation of the TOC macro.