I decided to try the Microsoft JDBC driver and had more success with that.
Still curious about the issues I mentioned in the original post and about
why the jtds config failed.

After browsing to the xwiki page, it went to 100% progress, then down to 95%
for a long time. It has added many tables to the xwiki database. Now it's
sitting on a page

http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/distribution/XWiki/Distribution?xredirect=%2Fxwiki%2Fbin%2Fview%2FMain%2F

and the browser window is completely black. It's been like that for at least
90 minutes. Is it completed and just didn't draw the success page correctly?
Or did it fail? I hesitate to try the main xwiki page again in case that re
initialized the installation process again.