So rather than undo the short url's on my existing server I decided it was time
to upgrade, a project I had put off for some time. I did not configure the new
server with short urls.

So I am now running the latest Ubuntu and Xwiki with the original database
migrated over and the issue persists. Based on this, my best guess is I
unknowingly changed permissions somehow but I don't know where to look. Any
advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jesse