I never use the LDAP application myself but here is what I would do:

* start XWiki
* go to the admin and install "LDAP Application" (it's possible you
have to click the "All remote extensions" blue button to see this
extension)
* modify the xwiki.cfg and copy/paste everything that can be found on
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Authenticator/
among which you can find the following important parts:

#-# LDAP authentication service
xwiki.authentication.authclass=org.xwiki.contrib.ldap.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

and

#-# If ldap authentication fails for any reason, try XWiki DB
authentication with the same credentials
#-# - 0: disable
#-# - 1: enable
#-# The default is 0
xwiki.authentication.ldap.trylocal=1

since I want to access the administration even when the LDAP
authenticator is not properly configured.

* restart XWiki

That's it, the LDAP authenticator is used as authenticator and you
have what is described on
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Application/
when you do to the administration -> LDAP.

If you think you configured LDAP authenticator with the right values
and login still fail then you should do what is explained on
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Authenticator/#HEnableLDAPdebuglog
and you will have all the details to see why it fails.

--
Thomas Mortagne