Hi Alexander,

thank you for contributing Matplotlib integration improvements!

You are right, it's odd and this is not your text editor's fault - our
current Python interpreter implementation is quite early stages and these
are artefacts of the way it currently works. Sometimes it does not accept
valid Python files [1].

I'm working on improving it right now [2], by changing the underneath
mechanism of communication with Python process, which should address this
issues, as well as few others [3], like windows support, better error
detection, etc.

I hope to submit a PR next week, meanwhile the best way to debug your
changes is to enable logging [4] by adding a line to log4j.properties "
log4j.logger.org.apache.zeppelin.python.PythonInterpreter=DEBUG" (i.e by
creating it in ./python/src/test/resources/ if you want it to work only in
unit-tests, or just changing code to `log.warn` to always log it) in order
to be able to see what exactly actual Python repl process is not happy
about.

Hope this helps!

 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-1133
 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-1325
 3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-1133?jql=
project%20%3D%20ZEPPELIN%20AND%20component%20%3D%20python-interpreter%20AND%
20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved
 4. https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/blob/master/python/src/main/java/org/
apache/zeppelin/python/PythonInterpreter.java#L221

--
Alex