I've been using the %dep extensively to setup my notebook dependencies for
later use by the Scala Spark paragraphs.

My main use case for these notebooks involve the following steps

   - Spin up an ephemeral cluster (with Spark and Zeppelin on it)
   - Import the notebook
   - Run

I've seen https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-630 and the
comments on
https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.6.1/interpreter/spark.html#dependencyloading
which seem to suggest that this feature in being deprecated in favor of the
GUI settings since it works for both %spark and %sql interpreters.

>From a user's point-of-view the way to fixing this should've been fixing
the loading for %sql or at least warning about it so it doesn't surprise
users. But to takeaway something that is already working well, and remove
it in favour of matching a the less powerful %sql approach?
--
Cheers,
Ahmed