From: mina lee [mina...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, 12 August 2016 2:08 PM
To: users@zeppelin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Config for spark interpreter

Hi Polina,

I tried first/third approach with zeppelin-0.6.0-bin-netinst.tgz and both seems
to work for me.

> 3. restart zeppelin, check interpreter tab.
Here is one suspicious part you might missed, did you create new Spark
Interpreter after restarting zeppelin?

One thing you need to keep in mind is that properties that is defined in
interpreter/spark/interpreter-setting.json will take priority over
spark-default.conf.
To be more specific, you will need to change
interpreter/spark/interpreter-setting.json file if you want to change one of
below properties:

  *   spark.app.name<http://spark.app.name>
  *   spark.executor.memory
  *   spark.cores.max
  *   spark.master

The properties other than above, you can configure them in spark-default.conf.

Regards,
Mina

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:12 AM Polina Marasanova
<polina.marasan...@quantium.com.au<mailto:polina.marasan...@quantium.com.au>>
wrote:
Hi,

I think I faced a bug of a Zeppelin 0.6.0.
What happened: I'm not able to overwrite spark interpreter properties from
config, only via GUI.
What I've tried:

first approach, worked on previous version
1. export SPARK_CONF_DIR=/zeppelin/conf/spark
2. add my "spark-defaults.conf" file to this directory
3. restart zeppelin, check interpreter tab.
doesn't work

second approach:
1. add "spark-defaults.conf" to ZEPPELIN_CONF_DIR
2. pass this directory to starting script /bin/zeppelin.sh --config
ZEPPELIN_CONF_DIR
doesn't work

third approach:
1. Create a file interpreter-setting.json with my configs similar to this one
https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/blob/master/spark/src/main/resources/interpreter-setting.json
2. add to directory /zeppelin/interpreter/spark
3. restart zeppelin
according to logs looks like zeppelin actually fetching this file, but still no
changes in GUI

if i add all properties via GUI it works ok, but it means that users should do
it by themselves which is a bit of a pain

Have anyone seen something similar to my issue?

Thank you.

Regards,
Polina