I didn't tried in EMR with separated machine. but theoretically you can try,
If you build Zeppelin from current master branch,

1. copy the SPARK_HOME and HADOOP_HOME directory from EMR cluster to your
separate machine, with keeping the same path.
2. Make sure your SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-shell works from your separate
machine.
3. Then, export SPARK_HOME  and MASTER in your conf/zeppelin-env.sh file.
4. Enjoy

Hope this helps

Best,
moon