Hi all,

Rough! I spent around 16 hours in making things work due to lack of decent
documentation, plus I reported two reproducible bugs to Jira.
Still I don't understand this manages to operate but it does work. Maybe
somebody can shed some light here.

To make Zeppelin work distantly with Amazon EMR + Spark I did the following:

   1. Update EMR_MASTER EC2 security groups to accept incoming requests
   from all ports, to communicate with Zeppelin (should be specific port, not
   yet know which)
   2. Copy directory EMR_MASTER:/etc/hadoop/conf to
   MY_STANDALONE_SERVER:/home/zeppelin/hadoop-conf.
   3. zeppelin/conf/zeppelin-env.sh should contain:
   export MASTER=yarn-client
   export HADOOP_CONF_DIR=/home/zeppelin/hadoop-conf

Most of the time I wasted because I specified SPARK_HOME env variable in
zeppelin/conf/zeppelin-env.sh, as it's "(required)", it cause all sorts of
jar hell problems (missing libs).

My questions:

   - As far as I understand, Yarn simply executes jars over cluster, it
   does not know anything about spark, right?
   - If so, when I specify SPARK_HOME to my spark installation and set
   MASTER=yarn-client, I supposed Zeppelin should be sending spark app jars to
   Yarn, correct?
   - Then, I don't get it how to dependency libs to my code (for example
   AWS S3 lib from maven) due to the following bugs:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-301,
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-302. What exactly should
   I add to SPARK_HOME/conf/spark-defaults.conf to make my code be supplied
   with dependency jars?

--

Best regards,
Eugene.