I always use sudo and works every time (on 10.11.3):

sudo mvn clean package    -Pspark-1.6 -Phadoop-2.6     -Dhadoop.version=2.7.2
-Pscalding       -Ppyspark     -Pyarn  -DskipTests

And it works every time (I get a bunch of npm errors, but somehow they are
recuperated and do not affect the install).

Enzo
e...@smartinsightsfromdata.com