From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chimpsarecute
Sent: Sunday, 2004 January 25 10:56
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:28369] Re: temperature

That is nonsense.  Degrees Fahrenheit has more resolution then degrees
Celsius without going into decimal parts.  There are 9 divisions in the
Fahrenheit scale for every 5 divisions in the Celsius scale.  But the
same decree of resolution can be achieved in the Celsius by reporting
Celsius temperatures to every 0.5°C.

Accuracy depends on the instrument used to take the measurements.  No
matter what the resolution.  Accuracy can also depend on the stability
of the temperature of the medium being measured.  If the temperature in
a medium is not homogenous, high resolution readings would be erroneous.
E.g.:  If the temperature in a room is taken and the temperature is
known to vary between 19 and 21°C, resolving the temperature to a higher
degree of accuracy would imply a narrower tolerance band then what is
actually observed.

Formula for calculating temperature rise and resistance changes in wire
are all done in degrees Celsius (or Kelvin).  The relationship is very
linear with changes in resistance per degree Celsius (Kelvin) change in
temperature.  I would tend to think that energy levels in media are
quantized and energy levels changes are not infinite.  They change in
steps and those steps seem to be in harmony with the Celsius scale.
Thus there is no reason to resolve temperatures or temperature
variations finer then 1°C.  To do so will produce fictitious results.

>From the Honeywell website, there was an FAQ which stated that humans
could detect temperature changes as low as 1°C  (ok...they really said
1.8°F).  Someone must have done the research and found that nature is in
tune with degrees Celsius.

Thus all the crap about Fahrenheit being more accurate is made by people
who know nothing about temperature measurements.

Euric