Knowing temperature to tenths of degrees is important for analysis and forecasting purposes.  Reporting temperature in decimal degrees for human consumption is not necessary for reasons already stated.

Tenths of degrees is important for snow and ice control on transportation facilities.  Tenths of degrees on roads makes a great difference to show trends (cooling or warming of surfaces) to determine whether to apply chemicals or not or when to plow or not to plow.  There are many other applications.

Stan Doore

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 6:56 PM
Subject: [USMA:28382] Re: temperature

Why is it important to have accuracy within 1°?
Most people sense a temperature change around 1.8°. Honeywell thermostats are more accurate than some electronic thermostats which can vary up to 9°. Most thermostat manufacturers use some of our thermostat technology - none are as accurate as Honeywell.

Please Note:  The temperatures stated above are in degrees Fahrenheit.

I am assuming their information cam from research and the research discovered that people are sensitive to temperature changes of 1°C, to which Honeywell converted that to F units.

If you need further info, I suggest you write to Honeywell and ask them where they got the figures they come up with.

Euric