Great comments all, As far as the centimeter versus millimeter factors I suppose I'm just going to have to start getting used to it.

Upon further reflection I think the reason I'm more comfortable with centimeters is that 25cm is somehow related to an inch measure in that there are no zero's usually. Now if one measures someething in inches there's a strong possibility there was a fraction in there somewhere that got dropped but I'm used to thinking in five inches ten inches etc. No third number so using millimeters and inserting a zero there still throws me a bit. And yes I know I shouldn't be thinking of SI in terms of USC but old habits die hard. I know also that technically it shouldn't be labelled as .5L but I couldn't think of another way to illustrate my point.

Now on the flipside I did have a customer ask me to convert 300 candelas per square meter (a measurement of brightness on an LCD or laptop display) into the inch equivalent. Needless to say I didn't but it was fun trying to explain to him why exactly it wouldn't work.  The gentleman also wondered if it was possible for me to convert the gigahertz of the processor and gigabytes of the harddrive into something "less metric". I explained the prefixes and he was slightly happier although he did give me a nice five minute pitch on the evils of metric :).  Fortunately he's one of the very few I've had that experience with. In fact, the vast majority of customers I deal with actually seem to appreciate having the metric measures given to them. The response usually goes something like "Yeah that makes more sense we should have switched years ago" or some variation on it. We do have a national lab out here full of engineers so maybe that contributes to the familiarity with SI.

At least I'm not hearing the old 1/8th of an inch jack used very much anymore. I like my 3.5mm or 2.5mm jacks :).