From: Martin Vlietstra <vliets...@btinternet.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: Uri Gat <uri...@att.net>; Bill Brenner <bbren...@nibs.org>; John Benedict
<jbeat...@aol.com>; Bruce Barrow <bbarr...@verizon.net>; Scott Orthey ASTM
<sort...@astm.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:13:23 PM
Subject: [USMA:43208] Re: EIA and SI

Jerry, During the Apartheid era there were two official languages
Ferry,  Tydens the Apartheiddae was daar twee amplelike taale in
in South Africa – English and Afrikaans.  It was a legal requirement
Suid Afrika – Engels en Afrikaans.  Volgens die wet, moet die
that both has to be treated equally, so the “small print” on the back
verhandelling van allerby dieselvde wees, dus moes die “klein druk”
of order forms appeared in both languages.  Until some time in
op die agterkand van bestellforms in allerby tale verskyn.  Tot die
the 1960’s it was common in South Africa for such alternate
midde van the 1960’s was dit algemeen in Suid Afrika dat
lines of print to be in English and Afrikaans, such as I have used here.
afwisselende reels in Engels en Afrikaans gedruk word, soos ek
hier gebruik het.

This passage is an example of why the salesmen like giving a surplus of
information – it can confuse the readership.  If you could read the abover
passage easily, fine – if you had trouble, then it is best to have a single
system of measurement.  Since sticking with the Imperial system is not an
option, it is up to Government to take the lead to ensure a clean switch-over.