FMI claims that the American public does not understand the metric system and
is not demanding metric products. I think there is some truth to this claim.
Although the U.S. public has taken to metric soft drinks (and hard drinks, too)
, it remains to be seen if the average U.S. shopper understands, upon
inspection, how, for example, a 1 L bottle relates to a 500 mL bottle or a 750
mL bottle.  Now, you and I on this list laugh at such a statement, because we
have made this understanding of metric units as instinctive as cents relate to
dollars.  But FMI is talking about the average consumer who, under the FPLA
amendment, suddenly will be faced with labeling, shelf tags, and advertising in
metric units only, and will have to make a purchase based upon metric-only
labeling.  Its point that numerous questions will be handed to store personnel
is a valid one (I speak here from personal experience as a retail pharmacist
over the years, when any consumer-product issue comes up from behind and taps
the public on the shoulder) .

We must face the fact that Americans are generally not taught or oriented to
using, and comparing, metric units.   Buying a 2 L bottle of Coke is one thing,
but really processing that measurement information is another.  Does the
average shopper know that 2 L = 2000 mL, and can (s)he yet quickly and easily
relate a 2 L bottle to a 250 mL bottle?  I don't think so. I say we need to
work to change that.  We who extol the advantages of metric need to educate our
fellow Americans on features, and the virtues the metric system.  This just
isn't common knowledge yet in America.

Developing a plan for consumer metric education is going to be a top priority
for me at USMA in the coming months.

We can accomplish two things with mass consumer education:  to reduce any
possible public confusion over metric units,  and also to sell the decimal
advantage of metric.

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.