It goes back to the old message about what sticking with customary measures really costs the average American. Pat Naughtin did some work on this, and came up with something like 9% (if memory serves) of the total US GDP. I once (as an economist - construction) also did some numbers, and while I came to a much lower figure, it was still huge. And this is an annually recurring cost.

Americans, probably more than any other nation, truly value not spending any more on what is perceived to be government and other non-discretionary spending than they have to. If we can get the message out to enough people, that having two systems is costing the US economy big time, perhaps Arizona and all other States, as well as the Federal Government, might start to look at the big picture. Converting would be a good way to both provide short term economic stimulus at a time when jobs are disappearing fast (as evidenced by last week's Non Farm Payroll) AND improve the US's competitiveness in the longer term.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John M. Steele" <jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:29 PM
Subject: [USMA:43678] Re: Arizona I-19 losing kilometer signs

I'm not sure if it was the same or another article, but the mile signs were placed MUCH later, and presumably aren't worn out yet. The reflector material does wear out.

However, the later placement of the mile signs indicates they have been plotting this for a while, but needed an excuse to suck Federal pork.

Given the design of the U-channel posts, you can't just mount the sign on another face to rotate 90°. You have to dig it up and replant it. (I think). As the mile markers are mostly for the highway department, I think this is affirmation that AZDOT will NEVER use metric again, sadly.