From: <mech...@illinois.edu>
Sent: 03/14/2009 8:36 AM
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Subject: [USMA:43819] New EO and FPLA

John,

More recently than the Act of 1866 legalizing metric units is PL 100-418 (designating SI as preferred for US trade and commerce...), also an Act of Congress.

I believe that President Obama will eventually express support, rather than efforts to repeal, these Acts.

Let's draft a new Executive Order (and submit it for consideration by the White House); an order which reduces easy evasion by Departments and Agencies of the Executive Branch.

I'm also thinking of a new draft of the FPLA rather than a mere Amendment since NIST must resubmit its draft anyway.

Perhaps we can debate various drafts in this USMA forum?

Gene.