John,

More recently than the Act of 1866 legalizing metric units is PL 100-418
(designating SI as preferred for US trade and commerce...), also an Act of
Congress.

I believe that President Obama will eventually express support, rather than
efforts to repeal, these Acts.

Let's draft a new Executive Order (and submit it for consideration by the White
House); an order which reduces easy evasion by Departments and Agencies of the
Executive Branch.

I'm also thinking of a new draft of the FPLA rather than a mere Amendment since
NIST must resubmit its draft anyway.

Perhaps we can debate various drafts in this USMA forum?

Gene.