I think that note is an attempt to put positive spin on it.

Am earlier EU directive was supposed to make metric-only effect at year end
1979.  The original directive 80/181 was to be effective year end 1989, then
extended to 1999, then 2009; now apparently forever.  The US didn't even
require metric (dual) until 1994, and still forbids metric only.   The only
people who possibly care, or oppose this are the US (not an EU member), the UK
and Ireland.

The US has not reacted to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th scare; why react now?
Metric-only might fare better as a world trade issue (pushed by EU or WTO) than
as a US metrication issue.