Bill

You said "I'm not sure that any of this is relevant to Stephen's point that,
for his 15/16" sump plug, the nearest metric wrench (24 mm) is too loose"

When I made the reply you refer to, I was working my way up the unread portion
of my email inbox.

At that time, the conversation hadn't diverted to "using metric socket sets to
undo imperial bolts"

If you look down the thread, I was responding to Jerry's question "Then what
units are cars made in if not metric units?" and Stephen's reply "Mixed - My
sump plug is 15/16ths"

The main point of my reply was that Stephen was making a case that the current
UK car market was "mixed" based upon a car last produced 16 years ago. I
believe that his answer is not typical of the true situation.

You may also notice that I didn't get involved in the later socket-set debate,
but (for completeness), I do have a metric set & an imperial set of sockets. I
also have imperial & metric sets of allen keys (you can tell them apart quickly
by the shorter long arms on the imperial set)

The imperial sets are used very infrequently compared with the metric sets.
That's real life. But you should always try to use the correct tool for any job.