I was watching television earlier and a commercial came on for Huggies brand
diapers, which showed a baby crawling around with an announcer mentioning
something about the baby finally reaching 1000 yards (along with a counter at
the bottom left of the screen which runs throughout most of the commercial). I
wondered, though, why they chose 1000 yards instead of something like a mile.
There's nothing significant about 1000 yards at all. Perhaps the real reason is
that "1000 yards" looks a lot neater than "5280 feet"? Could this commercial be
somewhat metric, even though they used yards?