Hi:

I have not made much contribution to this forum but I want to change the subject somewhat.
Anyway, I don't know if this one will fly but here goes:

The date of Sunday 2010-10-10 should be made a special day in US metric conversion.

I propose that we set Sunday 2010-10-10 be "M" day. We would request that Congress pass a law requiring on that day that:

All highway signs that show distances and speeds be overlaid with decals or replaced with signs showing only km/h. Distance signs would be replaced over the next week.

All retail gasoline or motor fuel stations switch to liters for all motor fuel sales except hydrogen sales which is or should already be in kilograms.

All radio, TV stations, newspapers, magazines, and US Web sites showing weather begin giving temperature only in Celsius, wind speed in km/h, visible in kilometers, and barometric pressure in millibars.

All digital signs outside schools, event centers, shopping centers, banks or other public display locations that display temperature should switch to only Celsius temperature.

These should essentially get the public thinking and using metric units then.

Is this date viable?

...Parker Willey Jr.
San Jose, CA